Connecting beauty, environment and well-being.
Our mission at Aveda is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society. At Aveda, we strive to set an example for environmental leadership and responsibility, not just in the world of beauty but around the world.
5000 Years of Results. Our earliest roots lie in Ayurveda, the Indian healing tradition based on the knowledge of life and the interconnectedness of all things. It has proven, over 5,000 years, that treating the whole person leads to greater balance and well-being, so we consider the effects of our products not only on hair or skin, but on body, mind and emotion.
Ayurveda is an ancient holistic system of healing that strives to create balance in body, mind and spirit. Ayurveda means “the science of life” and it has been central to Aveda since the very beginning, when we partnered with the Ayurvedic Doctors Vinod and Kusum Upadhyay*.
*Maharshi Bhardwaj Clinic and Research Centre in Haridwar, India.
In keeping with Ayurvedic principles—and because of our concern for the Earth—Aveda is committed to using organic ingredients. This has led to another Ayurvedic partnership—between Aveda and the Indian firm, Nisarga.
Nisarga—which means “nature” in Sanskrit—grows Ayurvedic herbs with organic agriculture. We have partnered with them to obtain organic turmeric and amla for use in some of our products.
Because of the company’s concern about the dangers of chemical fertilizers and pesticides, Nisarga works to encourage farmers to convert to organic agriculture. They have held regular educational seminars for about 35,000 farmers over the years, convincing many to go organic. Nisarga pays the organic certification costs for the farmers they partner with and also provides educational support to help make the conversion successful.
Aveda’s 11 Core Beliefs
- We believe in treating ourselves, each other, and the planet with care and respect.
- We believe social responsibility is our responsibility.
- We believe ecological and profit goals are mutually achievable.
- We believe our authenticity and experience are our points of difference.
- We believe in inspiring and educating people to integrate wellness and beauty in their lives.
- We believe in the power of oneness: from our global image to a focused network.
- We believe learning never ends.
- We believe in encouraging innovation and empowered decision-making.
- We believe our actions, products and services should always embody excellence.
- We believe personal and organisational balance is the key to sustainable success.
- We believe true leadership is delivered with passion and by example.
We believe there is no responsible alternative to doing business other than through the pursuit of environmental sustainability and this belief guides every decision we make. We find inspiration for doing so in nature and believe that nature is not merely something to be cherished and protected, but also should be emulated as a model of sustainability. We also believe that profit and environmental responsibility will increasingly work together as more industries find out that “nature works” for both sustainability and the bottom-line.